Thursday, June 13, 2019

Chapter 18


Fourteen months.  That is how long Ruthann and Jay lasted before the destruction I brought to their home was too much for them to bear.  I was removed from them in June of 1985.  I reconnected with them while I was in college through Christmas cards and the occasional letter from Ruthann.  Ruthann was a big fan of the Christmas newsletter, so I was always up to date with their family.  They actually came to my senior vocal recital my final year in college.  It was really wonderful to see them.  Ruthann was a little rounder and Jay was much balder.  But the smiles I remember from that first night I was brought to their house were the same.  It’s funny, but when thinking about my time with Ruthann and Jay so many years ago, the realization hit me that I was the only foster child they didn’t keep.  They ended up adopting their next two foster children.  It’s strange how this never occurred to me before now.  It made me a bit sad, but I don’t blame them for their choice.  They were truly wonderful people who had to do what was best for their family.  I will always think of them with love.  And I still start my prayers the way Ruthann taught me.  The first thing I learned about my next foster family was that they had an in-ground pool.  This was pretty much all I needed to hear ~ I was in.  Sandy and Larry were my new parents.  I also got a big brother, Brad, and a big sister, Karen.  Trisha was my new little sister, but she was tough.  I couldn’t torment her.  The roles were now reversed ~ I would now be the tormented.   But I wouldn’t make it fourteen months.  Here I would only last twelve.

No comments:

Post a Comment