Monday, June 3, 2019

Chapter 28


It would be easy to say goodbye to John and Mary and my life in Iowa.  There was nothing I would miss with the exception of my grandma.  On my last night, I went to a party with Maria and made out with a boy named Darren.  Just made out ~ I still had my rules!!!   I was already packed.  It didn’t take very long.  I think I had two garbage bags of stuff to my name.  Uncle Doug pulled up to my last residence in Iowa and put my sad garbage bags into the back of his white Mazda truck.   There was no long or tearful goodbye.  I might have waved, but I’m not even sure I did that.  I was so happy to be leaving.  I knew I was going where love was.  We drove the long eight hours; made longer I’m sure by my many bathroom breaks.  It was dusk when we finally arrived at my new home in Shawnee, Kansas.  I was greeted by my Aunt Peg and cousin Carrie, who was 8 years old at the time.  They showed me to my very own bedroom that had been redecorated with all new furniture and a Benetton comforter.  I was overwhelmed.  I no longer had to share a bedroom.  I no longer had to share a bed!  It was so beautiful.  I will never forget the feeling I had that night.  I finally felt love.  I truly slept for the first time in my life ~ without fear, enveloped in safety and love.  Moving in was the easy part.  Learning to be a part of a family was not so easy.  Nor was Algebra.

No comments:

Post a Comment